english girl at home

A Sewing & Knitting Blog, Made in Birmingham, England


Leave a comment

Kyoko Otonashi Lino Cut Print

I haven’t posted lately as me and Phil have been in Cornwall for the past week, sans wi-fi. Today, however, I managed to get time for printing & to update the blog. Below are some new prints – printed this morning – of Kyoko Otonashi from Rumiko Takahashi’s manga series Maison Ikkoku. The print was based on an original Takahashi sketch – I just took a few liberties with the kimono print and tried a few variations, pictured below.

Kyoko Otonashi Lino Cut Print

Kyoko Otonashi Lino Cut Print

Kyoko Otonashi Lino Cut Print

Kyoko Otonashi Lino Cut Print

Here’s a monochrome version of the Kyoko print, without any pattern on Kyoko’s kimono:

Kyoko Otonashi Lino Cut Print


Leave a comment

Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Embroidered Tiger-Striped Bikini

I’ve finally completed the embroidered Lum that I’ve been working on. Yippee! I used backstitch for the black outline. For the coloured areas I used a mixture of stitch types (and admittedly wasn’t too precise) including long and short stitch and fishbone stitch. I used a blackwork filling pattern called Holbein and Cross for the background, as I thought it suited the style of the drawing well and didn’t look too formal.

Embroidered Lum Urusei Yatsura

Embroidered Lum Urusei Yatsura

Embroidered Lum Urusei Yatsura

I previously blogged about this embroidery here and here.


1 Comment

Embroidered Lum – stage 2!

I thought I’d post an updated image of the embroidered Lum I’m working on at the moment. I haven’t had much time to work on her over the last week, but I’ve managed to fill-in her hair and bikini. I’m working on Lum’s boots at the moment and then plan to add in a background colour, just to give the picture a more finished look.
Embroidered Lum


1 Comment

Lum Urusei Yatsura Embroidery – a work in progress!

Here’s something I’m working on at the moment, an embroidered Lum from Rumiko Takahashi’s manga series. She is roughly based on a Takahashi illustration, I started off trying to copy the original illustration exactly but that caused some problems as parts didn’t look quite right when embroidered so I altered the image slightly to better suit the medium (or at least my embroidery skill level!). It took me a couple of attempts to get a face I was happy with; at first I attempted to embroider her face using the same thread I was using for her body but it was much to thick to achieve any level of detail. After a couple of failed attempts I thinned the thread down to only three strands which worked much better.

Next I’m planning to colour Lum’s bikini, boots and hair using cross stitch. I’ll post the results soon.
Lum Urusei Yatsura embroidery (work in progress)
Lum Urusei Yatsura embroidery (work in progress)