I’ve finally completed the embroidered Lum that I’ve been working on. Yippee! I used backstitch for the black outline. For the coloured areas I used a mixture of stitch types (and admittedly wasn’t too precise) including long and short stitch and fishbone stitch. I used a blackwork filling pattern called Holbein and Cross for the background, as I thought it suited the style of the drawing well and didn’t look too formal.
I thought I’d post an updated image of the embroidered Lum I’m working on at the moment. I haven’t had much time to work on her over the last week, but I’ve managed to fill-in her hair and bikini. I’m working on Lum’s boots at the moment and then plan to add in a background colour, just to give the picture a more finished look.
Here’s something I’m working on at the moment, an embroidered Lum from Rumiko Takahashi’s manga series. She is roughly based on a Takahashi illustration, I started off trying to copy the original illustration exactly but that caused some problems as parts didn’t look quite right when embroidered so I altered the image slightly to better suit the medium (or at least my embroidery skill level!). It took me a couple of attempts to get a face I was happy with; at first I attempted to embroider her face using the same thread I was using for her body but it was much to thick to achieve any level of detail. After a couple of failed attempts I thinned the thread down to only three strands which worked much better.