Here’s a super quick make.
I made up a detachable collar using the free pattern from Tilly and the Buttons. It goes pretty well with this (RTW) dress:) It was made with a Sevenberry fabric purchased from Guthrie and Ghani.
Yippee I’ve finished another project, a blouse with collar from the Great British Sewing Bee book. It’s a simple design with no fastenings and a false-collar (e.g. it’s just attached at the front of the blouse).
Keeping on a Sewing Bee theme, I made the blouse using a lovely Sevenberry printed cotton fabric which I bought from Guthrie & Ghani, the shop run by Sewing Bee’s Lauren.
I’m relatively happy with the blouse, although given that it isn’t fitted a more clingy fabric would have resulted in a closer fit.
There’s one other issue with it, I messed up the underarm area where the sleeves join the body. It’s probably due to my limited sewing skills, but I found the instructions for attaching the bottom of the sleeves to the body quite vague. By the time I’d finished attaching them with French seams I couldn’t face reattaching – especially since I wasn’t entirely sure where I went wrong – so I’m going to live with the errors. As long as I don’t hold my arms up in the air no one will know!
P.S. the unironed look isn’t entirely my fault as I did iron the blouse before putting it on, however the fabric creases pretty quick.
Talking about Guthrie and Ghani, me and Phil attended a Kino 10 short film screening at the shop last night. If you live in Birmingham make sure you check out Kino 10, who run short-film screenings across the city in galleries, pubs, shops, etc.
Last night’s screening was on the theme of crafting, sewing and knitting. The best film shown was To Die By Your Side by Spike Jonze. It’s a stop motion animation in fabric. It’s also a love story set in a Parisian book shop. Check it out.
Knitting fans (and everyone else) may also enjoy another video we watched last night. The doozer’s Knitting Song from Fraggle Rock.
My own favourite sewing/clothing related shorts are the old newsreel footage clips, like the one below…
Oh dear, yesterday evening I thought I’d make a start on a blouse with peter pan collar from The Great British Sewing Bee book. I’d cut the fabric pieces at the weekend so the first step was to put together the collar. It’s a false collar, just two front pieces which will be attached to the neckline and shoulders of the blouse front. Nice and easy. I’d sewn together the collar pieces (rather slowly while watching Spring Watch), trimmed and clipped the seam and pressed the collar flat. Then, when I stopped and took a proper look at the collar pieces, it was obvious that I’d sewn the wrong edge on both pieces. This meant the edge I’d neatly sewn together would be hidden inside the hem, and the side I’d left open would be visible on the blouse. Grrr…
I did consider unpicking the pieces and reusing them but decided for such small pieces it was probably better to start entirely from scratch, since I’d taken quite a bit of excess fabric off the seam. Here are the correct collar pieces, ready to be attached to the blouse front. Much better.
I have no idea how I managed to make such a dozy mistake. The pattern instructions even have an image showing the edge that should be sewn together. However, that’s exactly the kind of mistake I do make when sewing and, I guess, the reason we have stitch unpickers! Mine certainly sees a fair bit of use and will no doubt continue to do so.