english girl at home

A Sewing & Knitting Blog, Made in Birmingham, England


4 Comments

Upside Down Blouse Collar…

Oh dear, yesterday evening I thought I’d make a start on a blouse with peter pan collar from The Great British Sewing Bee book. I’d cut the fabric pieces at the weekend so the first step was to put together the collar. It’s a false collar, just two front pieces which will be attached to the neckline and shoulders of the blouse front. Nice and easy. I’d sewn together the collar pieces (rather slowly while watching Spring Watch), trimmed and clipped the seam and pressed the collar flat. Then, when I stopped and took a proper look at the collar pieces, it was obvious that I’d sewn the wrong edge on both pieces. This meant the edge I’d neatly sewn together would be hidden inside the hem, and the side I’d left open would be visible on the blouse. Grrr…
Blouse Collar - work in progress

I did consider unpicking the pieces and reusing them but decided for such small pieces it was probably better to start entirely from scratch, since I’d taken quite a bit of excess fabric off the seam. Here are the correct collar pieces, ready to be attached to the blouse front. Much better.
Blouse Collar - work in progress

I have no idea how I managed to make such a dozy mistake. The pattern instructions even have an image showing the edge that should be sewn together. However, that’s exactly the kind of mistake I do make when sewing and, I guess, the reason we have stitch unpickers! Mine certainly sees a fair bit of use and will no doubt continue to do so.

On a different topic, there are some beautiful aquilegia growing in my garden; all of which were donations from my Mom, planted last year.
In my garden, May 2013
In my garden, May 2013
In my garden, May 2013