A couple of years ago I made Phil a Doraemon plush for Christmas. I made him without a pattern so he ended up slightly skewith and very handmade looking!
I haven’t managed to visit one of my favourite local crafty shops All Fired Arts in a while. All Fired Arts offer pottery painting (along with an increasing range of other nice things). I’ve painted a few pottery tiles at the shop, they’re nice and easy because they have a flat surface:) Two manga themed tiles I painted are pictured below. The first is based on an image from the manga Life. If you don’t know it, Life is an extremely dramatic shojo manga about a teenage girl who goes through just about every possible emotional experience teenage girls in shojo manga tend to go through. I did end up rushing the painting a little as I was running out of time before the shop shut…
The Doraemon coaster below was a little present for Phil. Unfortunately Phil accidently dropped him on the floor (crack pictured!).
I haven’t posted lately as me and Phil have been in Cornwall for the past week, sans wi-fi. Today, however, I managed to get time for printing & to update the blog. Below are some new prints – printed this morning – of Kyoko Otonashi from Rumiko Takahashi’s manga series Maison Ikkoku. The print was based on an original Takahashi sketch – I just took a few liberties with the kimono print and tried a few variations, pictured below.
Here’s a monochrome version of the Kyoko print, without any pattern on Kyoko’s kimono:
I’ve finally completed the embroidered Lum that I’ve been working on. Yippee! I used backstitch for the black outline. For the coloured areas I used a mixture of stitch types (and admittedly wasn’t too precise) including long and short stitch and fishbone stitch. I used a blackwork filling pattern called Holbein and Cross for the background, as I thought it suited the style of the drawing well and didn’t look too formal.
I thought I’d post an updated image of the embroidered Lum I’m working on at the moment. I haven’t had much time to work on her over the last week, but I’ve managed to fill-in her hair and bikini. I’m working on Lum’s boots at the moment and then plan to add in a background colour, just to give the picture a more finished look.
Here’s something I’m working on at the moment, an embroidered Lum from Rumiko Takahashi’s manga series. She is roughly based on a Takahashi illustration, I started off trying to copy the original illustration exactly but that caused some problems as parts didn’t look quite right when embroidered so I altered the image slightly to better suit the medium (or at least my embroidery skill level!). It took me a couple of attempts to get a face I was happy with; at first I attempted to embroider her face using the same thread I was using for her body but it was much to thick to achieve any level of detail. After a couple of failed attempts I thinned the thread down to only three strands which worked much better.